This salad celebrates all that is great about spring. And if asparagus isn't your thing, avocado makes a pretty stunning substitution. Either way, we love this simple easy and delicious one plate dinner, with its delicious creamy Tamarind dressing.
You will need (to serve 4)
- 500 grams new potatoes
- 400 grams chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A squeeze of lemon
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup of peas, thawed
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
*we used Medium Jenny's Kitchen Tamarind Chutney
To make your salad:
- Cut new potatoes into half. (Leave very small ones whole). Boil 1.5 litres of water with salt and bay leaves. Add potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove (and discard) the chicken skin. Place the chicken on a chopping board, lay your hand on top and slice the breast into 2 thinner pieces. This will ensure quick, even cooking.
- Add the chicken to the potatoes. Ensure all chicken is submerged. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until cooked. Using tongs, remove chicken to a chopping board. Allow to cool before slicing. Drain potatoes and cool. Discard the bay leaves.
- In a small bowl, mix the Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney, a pinch of salt, olive oil, lemon juice and yogurt. Taste and add more lemon juice or salt to your taste.
- Trim asparagus and cut into thirds. Add to boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water. Drain.
- Arrange all vegetables on a large platter or individual plates. Top with sliced chicken and dollop with tamarind yogurt dressing on top. Season with salt and pepper and scatter with fresh mint leaves.