The sourness of Tamarind has a natural affinity with Seafood. We used our ‘Hot’ Tamarind Chutney for this delicious starter.
You will need (to serve two):
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney
- Rock salt or aluminium foil
- 12 half shell oysters
- Black pepper
- lemon wedges and chopped coriander to serve
To prepare your Oysters
1. Preheat grill (broiler) to 200°C.
2.Heat oil in a small frying pan, on medium-high heat. Fry bacon for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Add onion and cook for 1 minute until softened.
3.In a small bowl, melt butter (microwave 10-20 seconds) then add Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney and the bacon and onion. Stir to combine.
4.Lay rock salt or scrunched-up foil on a baking tray to form a stable surface to rest oysters on top in a single layer.
5.Divide bacon and chutney mixture among the shells and grill for 4 minutes.
6.Season with freshly ground black pepper, scatter with chopped coriander and serve with lemon wedges.