Feed the troops with this
fantastic meal. They will love the Bacon, Chicken and Tamarind combo.
You will need (serves four to six):
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 6 rashes of streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons Jenny’s Tamarind Chutney (any heat)
- 250 grams dried macaroni, 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup panko (or bread) crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the chicken, bacon and onion. Fry for 12 minutes, stirring regularly until cooked through. Stir in 2 tablespoons Jenny’s KitchenTamarind Chutney and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add salt and macaroni and cook for 10 minutes. Drain then tip the cooked macaroni into an oven-safe dish.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan, whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk and whisk until it forms a smooth paste. Add the rest of the milk in several batches and whisk until smooth each time. Simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of grated cheese, 2 tablespoons Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook for a further 3 minutes. Pour over the macaroni and mix to distribute sauce evenly.
- Gently fold in the cooked chicken and bacon. Sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs and extra grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180°C until golden.
- Scatter with fresh herbs before serving.