Rendang is a classic curry. Meltingly
tender beef in a rich coconut sauce, which usually has a lengthy list of
ingredients. You will love our cheat's version.
You will need (to serve four to six):
- 2 tbs cooking oil
- 1 kg chuck steak cut into cubes
- 2 onions diced
- 1/3 cup Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney
- 2 stalks lemongrass (or equivalent paste or pieces)
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or 1 red chilli sliced
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional garnish: Chopped fresh coriander, sliced red chilli
1. Whizz onion and lemongrass together or chop very finely. Very gently brown in oil for 5-10 mins.
2. Add the meat, coconut milk, chutney, soy sauce, sugar, chilli, coriander & salt,
3. Bring to boil then simmer over a very low heat for 2 hours or until the meat is very soft. Keep the lid on, but with a wooden spoon in the pot to allow steam escape so the sauce reduces. (It is quite a dry curry). Stir every 30 mins to prevent sticking.
4. While the curry cooks, toast the shredded coconut in a dry frying pan on medium heat for 2-3 mins. Stir while toasting and remove as soon as it is an even golden colour.
5. Sprinkle curry with toasted coconut and optional garnishes. Fantastic served with roti, rice or mashed potato.