This deliciously rich Bacon & Egg Pie will become a legendary family favourite.
YOU WILL NEED (for six generous pieces):
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 250 grams streaky bacon
- 3 tablespoons Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney (we used Medium)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh basil or parsley, roughly chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground or cracked black pepper
TO PREPARE YOUR PIE:
- 1.Place a baking tray in the oven and preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2.Line bottom and sides of a baking dish (about 24x24cm) with pastry, pressing and overlapping seams to seal.
- 3.Cut the bacon into bite size pieces. Mix in a bowl with the sliced onion and Jenny’s Kitchen Tamarind Chutney. Evenly spoon this mixture into the baking dish and scatter with fresh herbs.
- 4.Break in 6 whole eggs. Whisk the remaining 6 eggs with milk, salt and pepper and pour evenly over the whole eggs, reserving about a tablespoon of egg mixture for glaze.
- 5.Top with the final sheet of pastry. Press the edges over the top to seal or crimp with a fork then cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush pastry all over with the reserved egg mixture. Optional: add cut pastry designs and add to your pie.
- 6.Place in the preheated oven on top of your preheated baking tray and bake at 180°C for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- 7.Serve warm or at room temperature with extra chutney on the side.